Friday, May 23, 2014

Death and Resurection

This is an entry that I wrote while I was still in southern Africa...

I will be leaving Africa on April 17 (which happens to be Good Friday).  I will arrive in North American April 18.  Although I won't be waiting in the air for 3 days I can't help but think of my upcoming journey in terms of death and new life.  I have been on this continent since 2011, I have lived here for almost 3 years, which is the longest I've ever been somewhere that isn't my hometown.

Home #1 (Lesotho)

Home #2 (Lesotho)

Home #3 (Lesotho)

Home #4 (South Africa)

I have met friends, I have made family, I've worked & played, adventured and experienced the rhythms of everyday life.  Living in southern Africa has given me some of the biggest highs & biggest lows.  I've often said it's my emotional roller coaster.  I've invented my love and my life (to quote Mumford & Sons).  To leave here I will be leaving part of myself.  Leaving will include a kind of dying.

In April 2011 I graduated from university and left the life I knew with my parents in the town I grew up in.  Now I'll be returning to the province I grew up in.  But I have changed and so has the place and the people I left.

April 2011

May 2014

So it will be a kind of new life that I will be starting.  A birth of something new.  Just like the new green leaves unfurling in the the spring, we know what form they had last year, but we never know exactly what they will look like now, until they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment