Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Planting Season


I have been back in Lesotho for almost a month now. It has felt like a whirlwind of farm activity, moving around and meeting people again. I think I will describe to you all the different ways my life has been crazy and full in the last month.

The first and biggest one is my job (aka farming). It started with putting in some new plots on my first full day here and has continued on to putting out fertilizer in a research field until 7pm last night. I arrived in the middle of the planting season, which explains some of the craziness. All the maize (corn) is supposed to be in by Nov. 25 but we always wait on the rain. On Nov. 24 we got a really good rain so we have been busy ever since.  Last week some professors from the University of Tennessee arrived to plant the research fields and put out tests.  Part of my new job is helping them and overseeing the research fields while they are away. It has been fun to learn some new things and hear what the plans are for our fields. But it has been tiring trying to keep up with all the new things.

The new plots we put in 
There is a group of short term volunteers here and a group of Basotho young adults (the residents) that are learning about conversation agriculture farming and living at the project for a couple of weeks at a time.  So needless to say, the housing at the project is very full. As I have been reminded since I returned the norm in this place is people coming and going; some expected, some unexpected. And I have not been disappointed.  In the last month over 15 people have arrived and over 20 have left. I am still waiting for housing to be built before I can move into my permanent residence so I have been moving around on the project property as rooms become available.

I have also got to see all my old friends and family! That has been a wonderful, welcoming, love filled time. On the first sunday I was back in church I was called to the front. I had forgotten that this would probably happen, so I was a little surprised when they started singing a song for me. And then everyone stood up and walked past to shake my hand. It was such a beautiful welcome. It made me feel wanted and that is a great feeling.

I arrived during a very busy season at Growing Nations, but it has been a fun, exciting return. Every day holds something interesting and new and I have been welcomed so warmly and so kindly that in a way it is does feel like coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment