Monday, August 15, 2011

Lesotho

I will be leaving for Lesotho on Thursday. It is a country that I do not know a lot about, but one I am excited to get to see and experience, a place where I will have much to learn. I do have a little knowledge about the country that I would like to share.

  • Lesotho is a small mountainous country completely surrounded by South Africa


  • Lesotho is the country with the highest low point in the World (If you think about it it will make sense)
  • The country is smaller than the province of Nova Scotia and has just over 2 million people
  • They are a democratic monarchy with a king and a president
  • Over half the people practice subsistence agriculture (They grow a lot of corn and potatoes)
  • People speak both SeSotho and English
 As my date of departure gets closer there are some different things I have been thinking and praying about. I will be living with a host family who will speak mainly SeSotho, I am nervous about learning a completely foreign language, and I hope that I fit in well with my host family. In orientation we have been talking a lot about how difficult it is to live in, and learn, a new culture  and I have been praying that I will have an open heart and be flexible. I am excited to be leaving so soon, but it is always a little scary taking off into the unknown.

3 comments:

  1. You will be great! Anyone could get along with you :) And smart so you will pick up the language I'm sure. That is so exciting, can't wait to hear about your adventures there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the about section on the side and all I can think is, this is her dream. This seems like exactly what you wanted to do when you were at Capes. I am so happy for you and I con't wait to hear how it goes. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendelle, God has already gifted you with flexibility and a compassionate heart and I have no doubt he will gift you with all else you need to settle in and adapt to your new home as we pray for you. Hope that as I write this you are safe and sound and settling in!

    ReplyDelete